Paleo for endurance & autoimmune disorders : any positive experiences?

I upped my training a couple years ago and, to give a sense of perspective, now training for 42.2 and 70.3-type things. I had pretty much eliminated rice, pasta, processed sugar & most processed food already at the same time I started getting serious about endurance training and felt much better – I think this is due to being gluten- and histamine-intolerant, and probably also lactose intolerant (23andme genetic testing suggests this is indeed the case).

I tried the keto diet for almost a year but really struggled as it is really restrictive (plus: add the fact that being histamine intolerant I have to exclude a lot of food like cheese, olives, etc.). Moreover, got really tired of weighting every fucking gram of vegetable I had ; all along I really sensed it was counterproductive to restrict vegetables so much, maybe thus creating deficiencies, and I also struggled with the increased sodium/potassium/magnesium intake need on strict keto. I train a lot and already lose a lot of those in my sweat. No need for additional loss because of my diet.

That being said, been doing IF 16-8 for years & training in a fasted state first thing in the morning. So I’m most probably quite adapted to burning fat.

The more I’m thinking about all that, the more I’m seeing similarities with my way of eating vs. the paleo diet. I’m a total newbie in regards to paleo, but my intuition tells me this could be the way to go. And actually I’m more or less already eating somewhat in a paleo way. Given my autoimmune disorders (gluten/histamine/lactose intolerances), I really think this is the best dietary choice for me.

Now, I’m wondering if the paleo diet is a good choice too for endurance athletes. I can burn between 800-1500 calories a day working out (10-20h a week, 1-2x/day) ; I do HIIT, long Z1 runs or cycling, resistance training. I’m mostly wondering if by eating maybe 200g carb a day (veggies, fruits mostly) I’ll be able to sustain my training. The way I understand things, if I’m well fat-adapted my body should naturally switch to burning fat (i.e. producing ketones) when my expenditure exceeds my carb intake. So I’m neither “low carb” nor “high carb”. Is that a danger zone or is it perfectly viable?

I’m asking because right now I’m actually pretty much in an overtrained state (taking it easy for a couple days/weeks), I pushed quite hard through summer but also switched from strict keto to this more liberal “near-paleo” diet I’m eating right now at about the same time. I highly suspect it’s really my training load that was the problem, and want to exclude my diet as a possible source of problems (i.e. if others succeed with high training loads on paleo, then it would mean my training load was the only problem).

So, do others succeed with this low-to-medium carb intake on paleo while training this much?

edit : currently doing my homework, and just came across The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Friel and Cordain (will give this a read ASAP of course!) but would appreciate feedback nonetheless in the meantime!

submitted by /u/tb877
[link] [comments]

from paleo diet https://ift.tt/3gyblT3
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Friday!! Here’s to all of us who made it through another...

Monday ☕️๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚ Good Morning!! . . #autumn #monday #coffee #goals...

Hello Wednesday!! ☕️๐Ÿฅฎ Have a great day!! . . #wednesday #winter...