[Question] Were our ancestors low-carb?

I’ve been thinking about this recently… the Masai and Inuit are often cited as 2 low-carb cultures but there’s not many others I’ve heard of, apart from a few scans of bones showing that some of our ancestors ate mostly animals. On the other side there’s quite a few traditional cultures which ate and still eat high carbohydrate - Okinawans, Kitavans, the Tsimane, Tukisenta, Kuna and the Japanese, all of which seem to be quite healthy and ate/eat from 65-97% of their calories from carbohydrates. Another common proposition is that during the Ice Age we wouldn’t have had access to plant foods, so must have eaten low-carb, but I’ve read that most Europeans moved to the Mediterranean throughout this period so would’ve had more access to plant foods/carbs.

I can understand that if our ancestors did eat low-carb that switching to this kind of diet could help to prevent some modern diseases, I’m just not sure about the actual evidence of this. I have no agenda either way, I’ve even eaten low-carb for years and went zero-carb to the point that plants no longer seemed like food, yet still wasn’t convinced it’s optimal for humans. I’m interested in any of your thoughts on this. :)

submitted by /u/Endogenousness
[link] [comments]

from paleo diet https://ift.tt/2UmM0Tg
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Friday!! Here’s to all of us who made it through another...

Monday ☕️๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚ Good Morning!! . . #autumn #monday #coffee #goals...

Hello Wednesday!! ☕️๐Ÿฅฎ Have a great day!! . . #wednesday #winter...