[Question] Why can't I eat grain-fed beef?

Hi everybody,

so here’s the thing plaguing me ever since switching to a paleo diet: my gut simply can’t tolerate grain fed animals. And no, I’m not making this up. It makes my life harder as it should be, since gras-fed meat is basically unheard of here in Bavaria (to a degree that people are genuinely surprised when being told that corn/wheat is not a cow’s natural diet. I mean, come on).

Some information on me: I got a diagnosed and severe allergy against grains, especially wheat. Even the tiniest traces might trigger eczema flare-ups and gut inflammation, so buying a coffee at a bakery was sometimes enough to ruin my day. My current supply of meat is from two local farmers who provide 100% gras-fed/finished meat + lots of wild boar/game, which is pretty easily (and cheaply) obtained here in Bavaria. I’m doing perfectly fine on these, so it’s definitely not a problem with meat as such. Several incidents made me realize, that I nonetheless do react to certain types of it.

Case Zero: made an (AIP/Wahl’s Protocol) elimination diet for several months and my eczema just didn’t go away. Only after cutting out beef, which was like the last item on my list, things got markedly better. Didn’t go vegan though, but switched to hunted animals for the time being. Later on I tried grasfed beef and to my big surprise this worked just fine.

Case 1: I ran out of my farmer’s meat, as those guys only slaughter twice a year, so I ordered some online. They claimed their cows were grassing during the summer months, so I thought that’ll do it. After trying the meat, I woke up with several abdominal pains the next morning, which I only knew all too well. So I phoned them and asked if those cows really did only eat gras. The answer was no, as they were fed “powerfood” (i.e. grains) to fatten them up during winter.

Case 2: visited my parents, who bought some organic Irish beef for the occasion. I was already skeptical, but of course I ate it as they already went to great lengths to provide some proper food for me. Unfortunately, the experiment resulted again in stomach pain, which ruined the following two days for me.

So how is this possible? I’m no biochemist, but the only explanation I can think of is, that the proteins from the grains are not split up entirely and certain amino-acid sequences end up intact enough in the tissue of the animals to be recognized by my hyper alert immune system. If anyone could point me to a study or give some further information on this, I’d be super grateful.

submitted by /u/Jeggster
[link] [comments]

from paleo diet https://ift.tt/2WUVNoH
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Friday!! Here’s to all of us who made it through another...

Monday ☕️๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚ Good Morning!! . . #autumn #monday #coffee #goals...

Hello Wednesday!! ☕️๐Ÿฅฎ Have a great day!! . . #wednesday #winter...